Registering Your Drone
Do I need to register my Small Drone?
What Category Do I fall into?
- Fly for hobby or recreation ONLY
- Fly for recreational OR commercial use
We will discuss the Part 107 section at a later time so for now, we will focus on hobby or recreation only. You can visit the FAA’s website to learn more about the differences here.
How do I register my small Drone?
Registering your small drone (UAS) is an easy process that only takes a few minutes at the FAA’s website. First, you need to create an account, then you can start adding Drones (UAS) to your profile. You then need to add the UAS Type, nickname, manufacturer, Model, Serial Number, and then select add. Once that is complete it will add your new drone to your shopping cart and you’re ready to check out. The cost is $5 and will be good for 3 years. I’m not sure what happens after 3 years but I assume they just want another $5 to keep it active and up to date.
What else should I know?
- Follow community-based safety guidelines and fly within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization
- Fly a model aircraft under 55 lbs. unless certified by a community-based organization
- Fly within visual line-of-sight
- Never fly near other aircraft
- Notify the airport and air traffic control tower prior to flying within 5 miles of an airport
- Never fly near emergency response efforts